Debswana Diamond (world’s leading diamonds producer ) Company have unearthed world’s 3rd-largest diamond in Jwaneng mine of Botswana in South Africa.
- Botswana is called as largest producer of diamonds in Africa.
- Diamond weighing 1,098 carats was presented to President Mokgweetsi Masisi after it was unearthed.
- It weighs a little less than world’s second-largest 1,109-carat Lesedi la Rona diamond which was found in Botswana in the year 2015 and world’s largest 3,106-carat Cullinan diamond which was found in South Africa in the year 1905.
- Estimation of stone’s final value is not yet released.
- World’s second-largest 1,109-carat Lesedi la Rona diamond was sold for $53 million.
3rd largest diamond
Diamond is measuring 73mm long, 52mm wide, and 27mm thick. It is yet to be named.
Debswana Diamond had witnessed a 29% fall in production to 16.6 million carats and a 30 per cent drop in sales amid the covid-19. Thus, unearthing of 3rd largest diamond becomes significant.
Debswana Diamond Company
The joint venture between global diamond giant De Beers and government. 80% of the income earned by selling of diamonds by Debswana goes to government by means of royalties, dividends, and taxes.
World’s 3rd Largest Diamond Unearthed