Recently, the air strikes engaged between Israel and Palestine. It all began with Israeli Police installing a barricade at the Damascus Gate. Later the tensions escalated due to the storming of Al-Aqsa Mosque by the Israeli police.
To this, Gaza’s Hamas group retaliated with rockets. These rockets were intercepted by Israeli Iron Dome Defence System. It was as if the rockets were hitting some invisible shield.
Iron Dome Defence System
- Iron Dome is an air defence system.
- It neutralises any missiles or rockets.
- Iron Dome is a short-range ground air-to-air defence system.
- It is used to counter rockets, mortars, aircraft, helicopters, mortars artillery and unmanned vehicles.
Birth of Iron Dome
In the year 2006, during the Israeli-Lebanon war, Hezbollah fired thousands of rockets in to Israel. Following this, Israel announced that the Rafael Advance System run by Israeli Government will develop an air defence system to protect its people and cities. Thus Iron Dome was developed by Israel.
About Iron Dome
- The Iron Dome was deployed in the year 2011.
- According to Rafael Advance Systems, the Iron Dome has so far made more than two thousand interceptions. Its success rate is more than 90 per cent.
- It is capable of protecting forward operating bases, urban areas, deployed and manoeuvring forces.
- It shall be used in all weather conditions. Also, it can be operated during the day and at night.
- The cost of interceptor Tamir Missile is $80,000. Its battery and full unit costs $50 million USD.
Working of Iron Dome Defence System
When the interceptor sensor of the iron dome senses an incoming rocket, it detonates its own rocket and sends out fragments. If the timing is right, then the fragments of the detonated rocket will hit the rocket warhead. However, the interceptor approaches the rocket is critical. It intercepts missiles in all directions. That is, Front Approach, Rear Approach and Side Approach.
It has 3-main systems. All the 3-systems act together to provide a shied over a defined area. The three systems are as follows:
- Detection and Tracking radar to spot incoming threats
- Battle Management and Weapon Control System
- Missile Firing Unit
It establishes a working relationship between interceptor missile and radar.