Union Cabinet of India chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi formally approved the proposal for investing 1810 crore Rupees to the 210 MegaWatt of Luhri Stage I Hydro Power Project on 4 November 2020.
Points To Note
- The project would be constructed on Sutlej River.
- Hydro Power project would be generating 758.2 million units of electricity every year.
- It will be implemented by the Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Limited in Build-Own-Operate-Maintain mode.
- A MoU was signed between Himachal Pradesh Govt and Sutlej Jal Vidyut Nigam Limited in order to implement the project during the event “Rising Himachal”.
- Hydro Power project is also being supported by Central Government that will provide a grant of 66.19 crores Rupees for the project development.
Rising Himachal event
In November 2019, Rising Himachal event was a Global Investors’ Meet was organized. The Global Investors Meeting showcased the investment opportunities and policy & regulatory environment in eight focus sectors. The purpose was to boost manufacturing and employment generation in Himalayan State. The eight focus sectors include-
- Agri-business and post-harvest technology.
- Manufacturing and pharmaceuticals.
- Healthcare and AYUSH.
- Civil aviation, hydro and renewable energy.
- Education and skill development.
- IT-ITeS and electronics.
- Housing and urban development.
- Wellness, tourism and hospitality.
The Sutlej River
- River Sutlej is the longest of the 5 rivers flowing through the crossroads region of Punjab in northern India and Pakistan.
- Sutlej is also known as Satadree. Satlej is the is easternmost tributary of the Indus River.
- On Sutlej river, the bharka dam is built in order to provide irrigation and other facilities to the adjoining areas.
- The waters of the Sutlej is used by India as per the Indus Waters Treaty between India & Pakistan.
- Most of its water is diverted to India so as to irrigation canals in India.
- The drainage basin of the river mainly lies in the state of Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, J&K and Haryana.
Union Cabinet approved Luhri Hydro Power Project