Recently Union Cabinet of India, Chaired by Prime Minister Modi, formally approved the Production Linked Scheme (PLI) for White Goods such as Air conditioners and LED lights. This is to be achieved by creating economies of scale, removing sectoral disabilities and ensuring efficiencies. The scheme will make India an integral part of the global supply chain.
It is expected that the PLI scheme will attract global investment, enhance exports and generate large scale employment.
Production Linked Scheme for White Goods
- The budget sanctioned for the scheme is Rupees 6,238 crores.
- The PLI scheme will help to facilitate additional investments of Rupees 7,920 crores.
- It will create 4 lakh jobs in the country.
- The scheme will generate direct and indirect revenues of Rupees 49,300 crores.
- The scheme will provide incentive of 4 per cent to 6 per cent to the companies engaged in the manufacturing of Air Conditioners and LED lights.
- The incentives are to be provided for a period of 5 years.
- The scheme is expected to increase production worth Rupees 1,68,000 crores and exports worth Rupees 64,000 crores.
Generally large home appliances such as washing machines, refrigerators, dish washers, air conditioners are referred to as white goods. Traditionally the household goods were available in white colour and hence the name.
The Brown Goods includes computer, Television, games consoles, radios etc
Other approved Schemes
Along with the PLI Scheme for Air Conditioners and LED lights, the Production Linked Scheme for high efficiency Solar PV module called the “National Programme on High Efficiency Solar PV Modules” was also approved.