UGC (University Grants Commission) has called for establishing an office for international affairs across the country. The UGC has asked the higher education institutes to set up the office. Office for International Affairs in Education institutions
Points To Note
- According to the University Grants Commission, these offices will serve as an “integral part of the internationalization of higher education in India”.
- Under the NEP 2020 (New Education Policy), the Government of India has also asked colleges to expand the global outstretch of the higher education institutes of India for promoting the country as a global destination for studies.
- To Setting up of international affairs office will prove to be a step closer to the government’s objective.
- The affairs office will also be helpful in the academic and research collaborations with foreign institutes.
- Such international affairs offices will act as a liaison body between the sponsoring agency and foreign students.
- It will also extend support to foreign students, address their grievances, and facilitate networking.
- It will be tasked with coordinating matters of supporting and welcoming foreign students, providing information about the admission process to prospective foreign students, and engaging in the brand and promotional activities abroad.
- University Grants Commission has asked the institutes to set up the international affairs office and share all details related to the office by 15th February.
Guidelines of Institutions of Eminence
Recently, University Grants Commission also amended its regulations and Institutions of Eminence to set-up campuses abroad after receiving no-objection certificates from the Ministry of External Affairs and Ministry of Home Affairs. The Commission also allowed eminence institutes to set new off-campus centres. Institutions of Eminence will be allowed to open 3 centres in five years.
Office for International Affairs in Education institutions