Recently Indian Army has signed a contract to buy high-altitude drones from ideaForge for $20 million. UAV Procurement pact sign by Indian Army
- ideaForge is a start-up founded and incubated by the alumni of Indian Institute of Technology-Bombay.
- The contract is for a high-altitude variant of SWITCH UAV, an indigenous system used in surveillance operations.
- It marks a strategic shift of focusing on indegenous technologies in the Indian defence procurement process.
- This is an example of how government-funded start-ups can help the country grow.
- This is the biggest such order in terms of the contract value, for any Indian equipment manufacturer for drones.
Importance of UAV for Indian Army
- Indian Army has placed an order for the advanced high-altitude version of SWITCH UAV, a vertical take-off and landing drone. It is a fixed-wing hybrid Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. Its features include:
- The Advanced flight time with a range of 15 kilometer.
- Around 2.6m long and 1.8m wide and weighs less than 6.5 kilogram.
- Higher safety and simple operation with additional fail-safe redundancies.
- Used for long-duration operations in harsh environments for day and night surveillance in Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance missions.
- Used in Photogrammetry – Technology of obtaining reliable information about physical objects and the environment through the process of recording, measuring and interpreting photographic images and patterns of electromagnetic radiant imagery.
Other Uses of the technology
Crowd Monitoring, Disaster Management, Precision Agriculture, Mining, etc.
UAV Procurement pact sign by Indian Army