The Emirates has announced its new citizenship policy after a decades. The UAE government has planned to offer citizenship to a select group of foreigners. The United Arab Emirates has thus become the first Gulf Arab countries that formalized the process of giving expatriates a bigger stake in the economy.
The Aim of the policy
UAE new citizenship policy has been announced with the aim of attracting the talent to the United Arab Emirates in order to boost the growth. The country is considering longer residency and limited citizenship for foreigners because it seeks to attract the investment and diversify from oil.
United Arab Emirates earlier used to give citizenship in the UAE to some foreigners in special cases. They were given citizenship for providing service to the state.
Foreign Residents in United Arab Emirates
The Foreign residents accounts for more than 80 per cent of the total population of the United Arab Emirates. The residents are thus the mainstay of UAE’s economy since decades.
Who can be given citizenship?
The United Arab Emirates government has formulated following conditions to provide citizenship:
- Investors should own a property in the United Arab Emirates.
- They are required to obtain one or more patents approved by the Emirates Ministry of Economy or any other reputable international body.
- The Doctors and specialists should be specialised in a unique scientific discipline or the scientific principles that are highly required in the Emirates.
- Scientists should be an active researcher in a university or research center. They should have practical experience of at least ten years (single decades) in the same field.
- Individuals with creative talents like intellectuals and artists should be pioneers in the culture and art fields. They should be a winner of one or more international award.
Withdrawal of the Citizenship
The citizenship of the individual can be withdrawn if there is a breach of the conditions.
UAE amends laws to grant citizenship UAE amends laws to grant citizenship