Task force on Interlinking of Rivers has formally approved the Mahanadi-Godavari Link on 25th February 2021. The Approval was given to the preparation of final detailed project report on proposed Mahanadi -Godavari link.
- The linking project was approved by ensuring the utilisation of allocated Godavari waters by Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
- The decision was taken at the 13th meeting of the task force which was held in New Delhi.
- During the meeting, three proposals were discussed and put forward by the task force chairman, Sriram Vedire.
- These proposals were based on draft detailed project report that was prepared with respect to the diversion of water from Godavari basin to Cauvery basin.
- The task force also emphasised on the several priority links under the interlinking of rivers programme by the Union government.
- The draft detailed project report was prepared on Godavari-Cauvery link the National Water Development Authority.
About National Water Development Agency
The National Water Development Agency is a Registered Society working under the Union Ministry of Irrigation which is now called as Ministry of Water Resources. The agency was set up in the year 1982. The National Water Development Agency is involved in carrying out the detailed studies, surveys and investigations with respect to the Peninsular Component of National Perspective for the Water Resources Development. Later its function was modified to include the Himalayan Component of National Perspective for Water Resources Development in 1994. The composition of Society and Governing Body was also modified in the year 2003 & 2004 respectively. The National Water Development Agency was authorised to explore the feasibility of linking sub-basins of rivers in States such as Bihar in 2006. It then worked for preparation of Detailed Project Report of Ken-Betwa river link in accordance with the priority links under Peninsular Component of National Perspective Plan (NPP).
Task force river-linking approves the Mahanadi-Godavari link Task force river-linking approves the Mahanadi-Godavari link