On 7th March 2021, Bangladesh has announced the names of nine individuals and one organization who will be conferred with the Highest Civilian Award of the country called “Independence Award” for 2021.
- As per the new announcement, 4 individuals have been selected posthumously under the category of freedom fighters with respect to their contribution to the liberation war of Bangladesh.
- These 4 individuals include- A K M Bazlur Rahman, Brigadier General Khurshid Uddin Ahmed, Ahsan Ullah Master and Akhataruzzaman Chowdhury Babu.
- Apart from them, Dr. Mrinmoy Guha Niyogi was selected for contributing to science and technology.
- Mahadev Saha (Bangladeshi poet) have been selected for award for his contributions in literature.
- Ataur Rahman Khan (Bangladeshi film director) and Gazi Mazharul Anwar (Bangladeshi film director) will be honoured with the award for their contribution in Culture while, Dr. M Amjad Hossain was nominated for the award for his social & public service.
- Among the various organisations, “Bangladesh Agriculture Research Council” was nominated for the award for “Research & Training”.
About Independence Award
It is also known as the Independence Award, Swadhinata Padak and the Swadhinata Puroskar. Independence Award the highest civilian award which is conferred by the government of Bangladesh since the 1977. It is given to the Bangladeshi or organizations to recognise their substantial contribution in several fields including the education, journalism, public service, War of Liberation, Language Movement, medical science, science & technology, social science, games & sports, song, fine arts, rural development etc. The recipient of the honour gets a “Gold Medal”, a cash reward of ‘Five Lakh Taka’ and a certificate of honour.
Swadhinta Puraskar Highest Civilian Honour of Bangladesh Swadhinta Puraskar Highest Civilian Honour of Bangladesh