Government of India’s Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) will celebrate 6 years of Swachh Bharat Mission (Clean India Mission) on the occasion of birth anniversary of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi on 2 October. The Swachh Bharat Abhiyan was launched from Rajghat on 2 October 2014 in order to achieve the aim of Clean India by 2 October 2019 which was celebrated as 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi last year.
- In 2020, the day marks the 151st birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- The day will mark the launch of:
- A GIS portal– The GIS portal will showcase innovative practices to implement Sewage Waste Management (SWM)
- Document on response of Indian cities towards COVID-19 will also be released. It will focus on sanitation.
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan – Achievements
The Swachh Bharat Abhiyan was launched in 2014 and in 6 years following achievements have been attached to it:
- 4,327 Urban Local Bodies have been declared Open Defecation Free under the Urban component of Swachh Bharat Mission.
- 66 lakh (6.6 million) individual household toilets were constructed.
- Over 6 lakh community or public toilets were constructed.
- Around 59,900 toilets across 2,900 cities have been listed on Google maps for live tracking.
- Some 97 per cent of wards received door-to-door collection of waste under Sewage Waste Management in last six years.
- 77 per cent of wards are now doing the source segregation of waste.
- With the launch of mission, now 67 per cent of total waste generated are being processed. In 2014 it used to be just 14 per cent.
- Around 84 thousand informal waste pickers have been integrated with the mainstream waste management system.
- 5.5 lakh sanitation workers have been linked to welfare schemes.
- The rating was provided as per the guidelines of Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA).
- 5-star cities: Indore, Ambikapur, Navi Mumbai, Surat, Rajkot and Mysore have been rated as 5-star cities for their best performance.
- 3-star Cities: Around 86 cities were rated as 3-star cities.
- 1-star cities: 64 cities were rated as 1-star cities.
Swachh Bharat Mission completed 6 Years Swachh Bharat Mission completed 6 Years