Gajendra Singh Shekhawat Central Minister of Jal Shakti presented the Swachh Bharat Awards, 2020 on 2 October 2020. The Swachh Bharat Awards were presented under the cleanliness and drinking water categories.
Points to Note
- The 3 categories of the awards were: Swachh Sundar Samudayik Shouchalaya (SSSS), Gandagi Mukth Bharat (GMB) and Samudayik Shouchalaya Abhiyan (SSA). The winners under the subsequent categories were:
- Samudayik Shouchalaya Category
- Gujarat won the first prize at state level.
- Tamil Nadu’s Tirunelveli got the first prize at district level.
- Madhya Pradesh’s Kharchrod block in Ujjain district, won the first prize at block level.
- Tamil Nadu’s Chinnanur village of got the first prize a Gram Panchayat level
- Samudayik Shouchalya category
- Gujarat and UP came out to be best performing states.
- Uttar Pradesh’s Prayagraj and Bareilly were the best performing districts.
- Gandagi Mukt Bharat Mission
- Telangana and Haryana both states got the first prize.
Swachh Sundar Samudayik Shauchalaya
Swachh Sundar Samudayik Shauchalaya initiative involve clean beautiful toilet contest. Under the initiative, toilets are decorated in order to pass show their significance.
Gandagi Mukt Bharat Abhiyan
Gandagi Mukt Bharat Abhiyan national level campaign aims to clean all cities, urban & rural areas. This initiative spreads awareness among people on proper sanitation, hygiene, clean roads and streets.
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan was launched in 2014. Currently, GoI is implementing Swachh Bharat Abhiyan Phase II. Phase II of the mission focuses on open defecation free plus (ODF+). Phase II is being implemented between 2020-21 and 2024-25. Total funds allocated to this phase is Rs 1,40,881 crores. The ODF+ primarily focus on greywater management, plastic waste management, faecal sludge management and biodegradable solid waste management. This phase also generate employment by involving infrastructure programmes for compost pits, waste stabilisation ponds, soak pits, material recovery facilities.
Swachh Bharat Awards 2020 announced