The 40th Meeting of the SAARCFINANCE Governors’ Group was held virtually, under the Chairmanship of Shaktikanta Das, Governor of Indian Central Bank Reserve Bank of India. The SAARCFINANCE virtual meeting was attended by the Governors from SAARC central banks. During the meet, Shaktikanta Das also inaugurated the SAARCFINANCE Sync, a closed user group secure communication network.
Points To Note
- In his opening remarks, Governor Shaktikanta Das highlighted the close partnership and co-operation among the SAARC countries in jointly fighting the COVID-19 pandemic.
- SAARCFINANCE group took stock of the macroeconomic situation in the SAARC region; discussed the current SAARCFINANCE initiatives; and the way ahead.
- SAARC governors reaffirmed their commitment to continued co-operation and sharing of central bank experiences.
- The group is a network of central bank governors and finance secretaries of the SAARC region.
- RBI is the current chair of SAARCFINANCE group.
SAARCFINANCE meeting was attended by:
- Fazle Kabir, 11th Governor of Bangladesh Bank
- Dasho Penjore, Royal Monetary Authority of Bhutan
- Shaktikanta Das (Chairperson), 25th governor of the RBI
- Ali Hashim, Maldives Monetary Authority
- Reza Baqir, 20th Governor of the State Bank of Pakistan
- Prof. W. D. Lakshman, Central Bank of Sri Lanka
- Maha Prasad Adhikari, Nepal Rastra Bank
SAARC Known as South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation. It is a regional intergovernmental organization and geopolitical union of states in South Asia region. The member countries of SAARC are Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, the Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. Shaktikanta Das Chairs 40th SAARC Central Bank Governors Shaktikanta Das Chairs 40th SAARC Central Bank Governors