The SERB (Science and Engineering Research Board) Women Excellence Award was announced on the occasion of International Day of Women and Girls in Science 2021.
Points To Note
- 4 young women fellows from the National Science Academies have been awarded for excelling in science and engineering.
- This Award will provide them a grant of Rupees 15 lakhs.
- The grant would be provided for a period of 3 years to the awardees in order to pursue their research ideas.
The for women scientists who were selected for the awards include:
- Antara Banerjee is the scientist in B National Institute for Research in Reproductive Health, Mumbai, Maharashtra. She is an expert in Signal Transduction, Endocrinology and Biology of Reproduction.
- Shobhna Kapoor is the Assistant Professor at IIT Bombay. She is working in the area of Chemical Biology. She is an expert in ‘Host-Pathogen Interactions & Membrane Biology, Chemical Biology & Biophysics’.
- Ritu Gupta is an Assistant Professor in the IIT Jodhpur, Rajasthan. She works on Nanotechnology and is expert in Materials Science, Health & energy, Nanodevices and Sensors.
- Sonu Gandhi is Scientist D from the National Institute of Animal Biotechnology, Hyderabad, Telangana. She is from Bio nanotechnology area who focus on Nano sensors, Design and Fabrication of Label-free Biosensors.
The SERB Award
This Award is given by the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB). It is given in order to support the basic research in the frontier areas of science and engineering. This award was launched in thte year 2013. It is a one-time award and is given to women scientists who are below 40-years of age. It is given to those women scientists who have received recognition from any of the National Academies like Young Scientist Medal, Young Associateship, etc.
Science and Engineering Research Board is a statutory body working under the Department of Science and Technology. It was established in the year 2009 by SERB ACT of 2008. It is chaired by the Secretary of the GoI in the Department of Science and Technology. It was set up to promote the basic research in science and engineering. It also provides financial assistance to scientists, academic institutions, Research and development laboratories etc for doing the research.
SERB announces Women Excellence Award for 2021 SERB announces Women Excellence Award for 2021