Roscosmos, Russian space Corporation has launched a new progress cargo ship into the orbit on 14th February 2021. The cargo ship was launched in order to deliver the cargo to the 7 crew members in the ISS.
What in News?
- Roscosmos launched the Progress MS-16 cargo ship. It is also called Progress 77.
- The cargo ship was launched using the Soyuz rocket from Site 31 of the Kazakhstan’s Baikonur Cosmodrome.
- The cargo ship will arrive the International Space Station on 15th February 2021.
- The progress 77 was launched and is carrying approximately 2460 kilogram of cargo and supplies.
- It includes 1400 kilogram of research and crew supplies such as food and clothing.
- It also carries a supply of fresh water, nitrogen gas and propellant for the Zvezda service module propulsion system of the ISS.
About Soyuz Rocket
Soyuz Rocket is a 152-foot-tall or 46-meters launch vehicle comprising of the 3-stages. The rocket will head on a north-easterly trajectory to reach the Space Station. The 2nd stage of the rocket which is also called the core stage has been is powered by one RD-108A engine. The second stage is designed in a way that it continues firing for approximately 3 more minutes before shifting to the third stage of the rocket called the RD-0110 engine.
International Space Station
ISS is a modular space station or a habitable artificial satellite. It has been installed in low Earth orbit (LEO). It is a multinational collaborative project that involves the participation of 5 space agencies namely, NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) from USA, Roscosmos State Corporation from Russia, JAXA (Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency) from Japan, ESA (European Space Agency) from Europe, and CSA from Canada. Intergovernmental treaties and agreements are signed between the countries in order to establish the ownership and uses policies. The Space station is divided into two parts. The first part is the Russian Orbital Segment which is operated by Russia and the second part of United States Orbital Segment which is run by the USA in association with other nations.
Russia Launched Cargo Ship to International Space Station Russia Launched Cargo Ship to International Space Station