The Upper House of parliament (Rajya Sabha) has approved the “National Institute of Food Technology Bill of 2019” on 15th March 2021.
Provision of the new Bill
The National Institute of Food Technology Bill declares the National Institute of Food Technology Entrepreneurship and Management, Kundli in Haryana and Indian Institute of Food Processing Technology, Thanjavur in Tamil Nadu as the “National Institutes of Food Technology, Entrepreneurship and Management”. Bill also establishes a board of Governors which will act as the principal executive body in the institute. This board would be responsible for general direction, superintendence, and control of the affairs in institutes.
Functions of the institutes
- Provide instruction, research, and knowledge dissemination in the areas of food science & technology.
- Hold the examinations and grant degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions and titles
- Determine and collect fees & other charges
- Institute and make appointments for the academic and other posts excluding Director.
Points To Note
- While addressing the doubts of the members, the Union Agricultural minister also stated that “Reservation policy will also be applicable on these institutes”.
- Union minister also assured that people who are working in the food technology will be given representation in these institutes.
- The National Institute of Food Technology Bill was introduced in the light that, India is currently facing the challenges in food storage, cold chain and processing of the food.
- According to the report, Further, food worth $14 billion is wasted in India while every third child is suffering from malnutrition.
- Thus, more such institutes are required to manage the entire food chain and skill development & training of the food processing units.
- Further, the law will create jobs and will make the farmers an entrepreneur.
This Bill was introduced in upper house in the month of February 2019 by the Union Minister of Food Processing Industries, Harsimrat Kaur Badal. After that, it was referred to the Standing Committee. Several amendments of the bill were approved by the Union Cabinet. Following which, the bill is being discussed in the Rajya Sabha.
RS passes National Institute of Food Technology Bill 2019 RS passes National Institute of Food Technology Bill 2019