The state Assembly of Rajasthan has passed the demand for grants of Rupees 370.60 for the higher education by voice vote on 16th March 2021.
The new bill was passed amid the protest by the opposition legislators. They stormed into the well of the House and staged a sit-in against the state government even though the state Higher Education Minister, Bhanwar Singh Bhati, had replied to the issue. The new bill was passed in line with the government’s focus on the skill development and quality education.
Demand for Grants
- It is a form where the estimates of expenditure from the Consolidated Fund are included in annual financial statement or the Budget.
- It is required to be voted upon in Lok Sabha or in state assembly.
- It is submitted in light with Article 113 of the Constitution of India.
- It comprises of the provisions with respect to the revenue expenditure, grants to state & UTs governments, capital expenditure along with the loans and advances.
- It is presented with respect to each ministry or department.
- On the flip side, for the large ministries and departments more than one demand is put forward.
- It includes both the voted as well as the charged expenditure.
Article 113 of the Constitution
Under this articles, the proposal or estimate seeking the withdrawal of money from Consolidated Fund of India shall be presented to the Lok Sabha in the form of demand for grants. It is presented to Lok Sabha only after approval is given by the President.
Who proposes the Demand for Grants?
It is proposed and prepared by the Union ministry for the expenditure which will be incurred in next financial year. These demands for grants are collectively presented in the Lok Sabha under the Union Budget.
Rajasthan Assembly Passes Demand for Higher Education Grants Rajasthan Assembly Passes Demand for Higher Education Grants