President Ram Nath Kovind, has inaugurated the world’s largest Cricket Stadium at Motera, Gujarat on 24th February 2021.
- Motera stadium was later renamed as the Narendra Modi Stadium.
- Narendra Modi stadium has surpassed the Melbourne Cricket Ground and became the largest stadium in the world.
- This stadium is going to make history by hosting the second home pink-ball test match on 24th February between India and England.
Features of the Stadium
- Narendra Modi stadium was built by equipping all the modern facilities and technologies which is required for present-day cricket.
- The stadium comprises of 4 dressing rooms which is required nowadays for hosting 20-20 matches back-to-back.
- It was built in over 63 acres.
- The stadium has a seating capacity of 1.10 lakh people surpassing the seating capacity of 90,000 people by the Melbourne stadium.
- Narendra Modi stadium was built at an estimated cost of Rupees 800 crores.
- The stadium was constructed by Larsen & Toubro.
- It also comprises of 76 corporate boxes with a seating capacity of 25 each.
- Apart from that, it has an indoor academy, an Olympic level swimming pool, four dressing rooms for athletes, GCA clubhouse and food courts.
- At the cricket stadium, 11 clay pitches of five black soil and six red soil have been prepared.
- This is the first stadium that uses both coloured clay for the practice and main pitches.
- One of its key features is that, in rain the pitch can be dried in only 30 minutes.
The old Motera Stadium was demolished in 2016 which had the sitting capacity of 54000 spectators. So, the foundation stone for the new cricket stadium was laid down by January 2018. The foundation stone was laid by the Gujarat Cricket Association. Its construction has been completed in 2 years.
world largest Cricket stadium in Gujarat world largest Cricket stadium in Gujarat