UNCDF: United Nations Capital Development Fund has appointed Preeti Sinha as its Executive Secretary. Sinha is an Indian-origin investment and development banker.
Points To Note
- UNCDF executive secretary will work with her focus on providing the micro-finance assistance to women, youth, SMEs belonging to the underserved communities.
- Executive Secretary is the highest leadership rank in the UNCDF.
- Preeti Sinha will oversee the efforts made by the organisation in delivering the scalable impact so as to make the international financial environment work for the frontier and pre-frontier markets of the world.
- Sinha will be giving a specific emphasis on providing support for the sustainable development of youth, women, SMEs and smallholder farmers.
- After Preeti Sinha was appointed, she highlighted that her goal would be to make ‘C’ in UNCDF (capital).
UN Capital Development Fund
The UN Capital Development Fund was established in 1966 by the UN General Assembly (UNGA) to promote the economic development around the world. UNCDF headquarter located in New York. The organisation helps in providing the micro-finance access to the Least Developed Countries. It also has the mandate to unlock full potential of public and private finance. The UNCDF makes public and private finance work for the poor in 47 least developed countries of the world.
Least developed countries
The Least developed countries is a list of developing countries that shows the lowest indicators of socioeconomic development. The list is prepared by the UN. The countries with the lowest Human Development Index (HDI) ratings around the world are listed in the Least developed countries. This concept was originated in the year 1960s. The United Nations has listed the first group of Least developed countries in its resolution 2768 (XXVI) that was passed in the year 1971.
Preeti Sinha To lead UN Capital Development Fund Preeti Sinha To lead UN Capital Development Fund