The current President of the United States of America, Joe Biden, has invited 40 top world leaders including PM Narendra Modi, for a USA-hosted virtual summit on climate in April 2021. This Summit will be organised to underline the urgency and economic benefits of stronger climate action.
- President Biden will host a 2-day climate summit of top world leaders.
- The summit will start on the occasion of Earth Day on 22nd April 2021.
- In this summit, Joe Biden will underline US goal to reduce carbon emissions by the 2030.
- Climate summit is known as “nationally determined contribution” under Paris accord.
- Apart from Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Chinese President Xi Jinping and President of Russia Vladimir Putin were invited for the conference.
- This Summit will be a key milestone towards UN Climate Change Conference (COP26) in November, 2021 in Glasgow.
- US President has also invited the heads of other countries which are demonstrating strong climate leadership.
- Small number of business and leaders of civil will also participate in the summit.
- Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan not invited.
According to the White House statement, the top Leaders’ Summit and the COP26 summit will be organised with the objective of catalysing efforts in order to keep the goal of limiting the global temperature at 1.5°C. This Summit will also underline the examples of how enhanced climate ambition will create good paying jobs, help vulnerable countries to adapt to climate change impacts and to advance innovative technologies. The United States of America will also announce an ambitious 2030 emissions target as “new Nationally Determined Contribution” under the 2015 Paris Agreement. US-hosted summit will reconvene US-led Major Economies Forum on Energy and Climate. This forum will bring together 17 countries which are responsible for 80% of global emissions and GDP.
List of Top World Leaders invited
US President invited the following leaders to participate in the Summit:
- Prime Minister Gaston Browne, Antigua and Barbuda
- President Alberto Fernandez, Argentina
- Prime Minister Scott Morrison, Australia
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, Bangladesh
- Prime Minister Lotay Tshering, Bhutan
- President Jair Bolsonaro, Brazil
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Canada
- President Sebastián Piñera, Chile
- President Xi Jinping, People’s Republic of China
- President Iván Duque Márquez, Colombia
- President Félix Tshisekedi, Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen, Denmark
- President Ursula von der Leyen, European Commission
- President Charles Michel, European Council
- President Emmanuel Macron, France
- President Ali Bongo Ondimba, Gabon
- Chancellor Angela Merkel, Germany
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, India
- President Joko Widodo, Indonesia
- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Israel
- Prime Minister Mario Draghi, Italy
- Prime Minister Andrew Holness, Jamaica
- Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, Japan
- President Uhuru Kenyatta, Kenya
- President David Kabua, Republic of the Marshall Islands
- President Andrés Manuel López Obrador, Mexico
- Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, New Zealand
- President Muhammadu Buhari, Nigeria
- Prime Minister Erna Solberg, Norway
- President Andrzej Duda, Poland
- President Moon Jae-in, Republic of Korea
- President Vladimir Putin, The Russian Federation
- King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, Singapore
- President Matamela Cyril Ramaphosa, South Africa
- Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez, Spain
- President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Turkey
- President Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, United Arab Emirates
- Prime Minister Boris Johnson, United Kingdom
- President Nguyễn Phú Trọng, Vietnam
PM Modi invited for USA hosted Virtual Climate Summit