Recent, Department of Health and Family Welfare of the state of Odisha has announced to established a COVID-19 Warrior Memorial in Bhubaneshwar.
Points To Note
- The COVID-19 Warrior memorial will be set to recognize and honour the sacrifice and services provided by the COVID warriors.
- The press release of the Department of Health and Family Welfare highlights that the memorial will be set in Bhubaneshwar’s Biju Patnaik Park.
- It will be inaugurated 15th August 2021 as the state Government has planned.
- The works department of the state Government have been tasked with the architect to finalise the structure and design of the memorial.
- Following this, the final approval will be taken from the competent authority.
- The cost of the memorial project will be made out of the budgetary provisions of the Works Department.
Why this COVID-19 Warrior memorial is being constructed?
The Chief Secretary of Health Department, PK Mohapatra, stated that the coronavirus is kind of once in a century pandemic. Thus, to keep the health crisis in the memory of the people and to recognize & honour the services provided by the frontline workers this Covid warrior memorial will be constructed. The memorial will also honour the sacrifices made by the frontline warriors who lost their lives while fighting with the pandemic. In Odisha, around 60 Covid-19 warriors and health workers died amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
The COVID war memorial is being constructed in the backdrop of announcement made by Chief Minister, Naveen Patnaik in 2020. The CM had announced in 2020 that, all the health personnel and support services staffs who died due to the Covid pandemic, will be given the status of martyr. The state government had also announced Rupees. 50 lakh ex-gratia to all the public and private health personnel and the members of all the support services who died while providing services amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
Odisha to set up COVID-19 Warrior Memorial Odisha to set up COVID-19 Warrior Memorial