On 23rd March 2021, Shaheed Bhagat Singh Smarak was inaugurated in New Delhi by Union Minister of Education, Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank .
- Ramesh Pokhriyal also paid homage to Shaheed Bhagat Singh in the chamber located in basement of Viceregal Lodge of Delhi University.
- Shaheed Bhagat Singh was imprisoned in this chamber.
- To commemorate the 90 years of martyrdom of Bhagat Singh, Shivaram Rajguru and Sukhdev, Delhi university has organised a programme.
- On the occasion, an existing collection of books on freedom fighters which has been converted into “Shaheed Smriti Pustakalaya” was also made available for the students and teachers of Delhi university.
- Bhagat Singh Smarak will remain open for the students and university community to instil the values of freedom and sacrifice.
About Bhagat Singh
Bhagat Singh was an Indian socialist revolutionary and folk hero of India’s Independence movement following his two acts of dramatic violence against Britishers and his execution at age of 23. Sardar Bhagat Singh and his associate Shivaram Rajguru had shot a British police officer, John Saunders in December 1928. Following this, Bhagat Singh (aged 23) was convicted and hanged on 23rd March 1931.
Sardar Bhagat Singh was belong to Sandhu Jatt family. He was born in the year 1907 in Punjab Province of British India. On his birth, his father Kishan Singh and two uncle, Ajit Singh & Swaran Singh, were released from jail. His father and uncles were members of Ghadar Party which was led by Kartar Singh Sarabha and Har Dayal.
Shivaram Hari Rajguru was an Indian revolutionary from Maharashtra state. Rajguru was known for his involvement in assassination of a British Raj police officer. Rajguru was hanged on 23rd March 1931 by Britishers along with Sardar Bhagat Singh and Sukhdev Thapar.
About Sukhdev Thapar
Sukhdev Thapar Indian revolutionary was a senior member of Hindustan Socialist Republican Association. Sukhdev Thapar participated in several actions with Bhagat Singh and Shivaram Rajguru. Sukhdev was hanged on 23rd March 1931 at the age of 23 along with Bhagat Singh and Rajguru in the assassination case.
Shaheed Bhagat Singh Smarak inaugurated