NASA’s Artemis programme will land the first person of colour on the moon. In addition, National Aeronautics and Space Administration will also land first woman on the moon under this programme.
- US Space Agency had finalised around 18 astronauts under its Artemis Programme.
- It included the Indo-American Raja Chari.
- However, NASA is yet to announce the first two crew members.
- NASA has now planned to include a person of colour in the crew. With this, NASA will be landing the first person of colour on the moon.
- Presently, NASA faces huge funding problems.
- This has been one of the major obstacles in implementing the mission.
- NASA has requested $24.7 billion of funding for 2022.
About Artemis Programme
- It is an international human space flight programme funded by the USA Government.
- The main objective of this programme is to launch a manned mission to the south pole region of the moon by the 2024.
- Artemis programme is predominantly carried out by NASA. The other international partners in the programme are
- JAXA (Japan),
- Italian Space Agency (Agenzia Spaziale Italiana)
- United Kingdom Space Agency
- European Space Agency (ESA)
- United Arab Emirates Space Agency
- Australian Space Agency
- Brazilian Space Agency
- State Space Agency of Ukraine
- Canadian Space Agency
- The total cost of this programme is estimated to be $35 billion.
- It is to be implemented in 3 parts. They are as follows:
- Artemis I: To be launched in the 2021 and is an uncrewed flight. It will test the Space Launch System and the Orion spacecraft.
- Artemis II: It is the first crewed flight test and is targeted to be launched in the year 2023.
- Artemis III: It will land astronauts on the south pole of moon in the year 2024.
NASA to land first person of colour on the moon NASA to land first person of colour on the moon