Recently Union Minister of Education launched the world’s first Microsensor based Explosive Trace Detector called the “NanoSniffer”.
- It was developed by an Indian Institute of Technology Bombay incubated startup called NanoSniff Technologies. It is marketed by the IIT-Delhi incubated startup Kritikal Solutions.
- NanoSniffer can detect explosives in less than 10 seconds.
- It can detect all class of military, homemade and conventional explosives.
- NanoSniffer uses MEMS system. MEMS is Micro-Electromechanical System.
- It can detect even nano gram quantities of explosives.
- The device is priced at Rupees 10 lakhs. This is one-third of the price of existing devices.
- It had been patented in Europe, India, and the United States of America.
Patents in India
- Several technology patents as that of NanoSniffer must come up in India. In India only one in 300 papers is patented. On the Flip side, in the United States of America, one in 5 research paper is patented. To change this scenario, more academic institution backed incubation centres should be set up.
- Incubation Centre is designed to grow new and small businesses by supporting them through early stages of development and change.
The value of Global Explosives trace detector industry has been estimated as Rupees 10,000 crores. India forms only 2 per cent to 3 per cent in the industry. NanoSniffer is to be marketed internationally and will thus help in growth of Indian Explosives trace detector industry.
About Explosive Trace Detection
It is the technology used to detect explosives of small magnitude. The 3-main characteristics of Explosive Trace Detection are sensitivity, light weight, and size. The sensitivity or detection limit is the lowest amount of explosive matter a detector can detect. The NanoSniffer can detect even nano quantities of explosives.
NanoSniffer a Microsensor based Explosive Trace Detector