After 12 years, Naftali Bennett has become new Prime Minister of Israel. Naftali is a religious-nationalist and a multi-millionaire former tech entrepreneur who has also served as defence minister under Benjamin Netanyahu. With this win, he has ended 12 unbroken years of PM Benjamin Netanyahu at the helm.
- Naftali Bennett is son of American-born parents who speaks perfect English.
- Naftali is a religious Jew who began life with his parents in Haifa.
- He kept moving between North America and Israel for military service, law school and private sector.
- He is an ultra-nationalist and & hard-right leader.
- He served in elite Sayeret Matkal commando unit after which he went to law school at Hebrew University.
- He co-founded an anti-fraud software company called Cyota in the year 1999.
- Cyota was sold to US.-based RSA Security in the year 2005.
What drove Naftali Bennett to politics?
Naftali Bennett had a bitter experience of Israel’s 2006 war against Lebanese militant group Hezbollah. This incident drove him to politics.
How Israel’s relation with India will change now?
Both India and Israel share a strong bilateral tie since the 1950 with Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru reiterating his position to recognise Israel as a state. Presently, India is the largest buyer of Israeli military equipment while Israel is second-largest defence supplier to India after Russia. India is the 3rd-largest Asian trade partner and tenth-largest trade partner overall of Israel. India’s relationship with Israel has grew during PM Narendra Modi’s administration even though India abstaining from voting against Israel in UN on several resolutions. It is expected to grow with same pace in new regime as well.
Naftali Bennett elected New PM of Israel Naftali Bennett elected New PM of Israel