A major drugmaker recently has developed the API and the finished dosage formulation of Brivanext, a drug for epilepsy.
API is Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient
- It is a central nervous system (neurological) disorder in which brain activity becomes abnormal, causing seizures or periods of unusual behavior, sensations, and sometimes loss of awareness.
- The Epilepsy is the 4th most common neurological disorder and affects people of all ages.
- Anyone can develop epilepsy, but it’s more common in young children and older adults. It occurs slightly more in males than in females.
- Alterations to sense of taste, smell, sight, hearing, or touch, dizziness, tingling and twitching of limbs, Staring blankly, unresponsiveness, performing repetitive movements.
- It may or may not involve loss of awareness or consciousness.
- There’s no cure for epilepsy, but the disorder can be managed with medications and other strategies.
- Initiative to Raise Awareness: In 2019 report Epilepsy, a public health imperative was released by the WHO.
- It is the first global report on epilepsy summarizing the available evidence on the burden of epilepsy and the public health response required at global, regional and national levels.
About Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients
- The Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients also called the bulk drugs, are significant ingredients in the manufacture of drugs. The Hubei province of China is the hub of the Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API) manufacturing industry.
- India is heavily import-dependent for APIs from China. India’s API imports stand at around US$ 3.5 billion per year, and around 70 per cent, or US$ 2.5 billion, come from China.
MSN Group to developed drug to treat epilepsy MSN Group to developed drug to treat epilepsy