The world’s first Artificial Intelligence (AI) ship was developed by England. The name of the ship is “Mayflower 400”.
- Mayflower 400 is 15 metres long and weighs nine tonnes. It is basically a trimaran.
- The ship navigates with complete autonomy and it also study marine pollution and analyze plastics in water. The voyage is important because more than 80 per cent of the underwater world remains unexplored.
- Mayflower 400 has been taught on how to avoid collisions. Thus, the ship can correct itself. It has been trained with hundred hours of audio data. The training will help the ship to detect the presence of marine animals and thereby provide information about the population distribution of these animals in the ocean.
- Sophisticated cameras and radars will act as the eyes and ears of the ship. There are 6 cameras in the Mayflower 400.
- Till now, the Mayflower 400is capable of handling waves that are 50 metres high.
- The team is to monitor the ship 24 hours from England.
- It is capable of self-activating a hydrophone that can listen to whales.
- The Mayflower 400 is covered with solar panels.
- The data gathered by the ship is to be available for free.
After the launch, Mayflower 400 will become the first unmanned vehicle to cross the Atlantic Ocean.
Benefits of the ship
One of the main advantages of launching Mayflower 400 is that it helps to overcome the major challenge in studying the underwater world, which is rough seas. Sailors get sick at sea or a storm might strike them down. The exploration area by a ship can be increased 3-fold if it takes a voyage without people.
Mayflower 400 First Artificial Intelligence Ship Mayflower 400 First Artificial Intelligence Ship