Indian table tennis player Manika Batra has won the 82nd Senior National Table Tennis Championship. Manika beaten Reeth Rishya by 8-11, 10-12, 11-1, 11-9, 11-5, 11-6 at the Tau Devi Lal Sports Complex in Panchkula, Haryana.
- She will now compete at 2 WTT Contender events which will start on 28th February.
- This will be followed by the World Olympic qualifiers (WOQ) and Asian Olympic qualifiers (AOQ) in Doha, Qatar which is scheduled from 14 to 18 March respectively.
About Manika Batra
Indian table tennis player Manika Batra is the top-ranked female table tennis player as of November 2020. Manika Batra ranked 63rd in the world. Manika specialises in playing the long-pimples on her backhand. It is not often played by top players. By 2020, Manika also received the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award (RGKRA).
Manika Batra’s achievements
- Manika Batra won silver medal in the under-21 category of the Chile Open in the year 2011.
- Manika also represented India in the year 2014 Commonwealth Games at Glasgow. She finished to the quarterfinalist.
- Manika Batra also took part in the year 2014 Asian Games.
- By 2015, Manika won 3 medals at Commonwealth Table Tennis Championships.
- By 2018 Manika was the only Indian who received “The Breakthrough Star Award” by International Table Tennis Federation.
- Though, By 2020, Manika could not secure position in Women’s Team event at the Tokyo Olympics for India.
Table tennis in India
The Table tennis is a popular indoor recreation sport in India. It mostly played in Maharashtra, West Bengal, Tamil Nadu and Gujarat. TTFI is the official sports body of this sports. India’s Men’s Team are ranked 10th in the world while Women’s team ranked 22nd, as of 2019.
Manika Batra wins National Table Tennis Title 2021 Manika Batra wins National Table Tennis Title 2021