India’s first geothermal power project will be established at Puga village of eastern Ladakh.
Points To Note
- This decision was taken because, Puga village was identified as the hotspot of geothermal energy by the scientists.
- Geothermal Power Plant project will be completed in 4 phases.
- A tripartite MoU to establish and implement the first phase was signed on 6th of February by 2021 between ONGC Energy; LAHDC, Leh and the Power Department of Union Territory Ladakh
- This project is known as Geothermal Field Development Project.
- The project will be commission by the end of 2022.
First phase of the project
- The 1st phase of the project will result into the generation of 1 MW power.
- In the first phase, the pilot project will be implemented by the ONGC-OEC.
- ONGC-OEC will explore within the depth of 500 metres.
- Under this phase, it was planned that 24 hours free power supply would be given to 10 neighbouring villages which are not connected with the northern grid to get the power.
The Second Phase of the project
- In this phase, deeper and lateral exploration of geothermal reservoirs will be done by drilling the optimal number of wells.
- Under the second phase, higher capacity demo plant will also be set up in Ladakh.
- The second phase of the project will be the Research and Development (R&D) stage or demonstration of the project.
Third phase of the project
- Under this phase, joint ventures and commercial projects will be promoted.
In the Puga Village, scientists have discovered a potential of more than 100 megawatt of geothermal energies. It lies in the south-eastern part of Ladakh. The village is a part of the Himalayan geothermal belt. The region has shown the evidence of geothermal activity in various form including the mud pools, hot springs, sulphur deposits and borax deposits. The talk of the potential geothermal project in the Puja Village has been into news since the year 2008. The region has the potential to produce about 40 per cent of the energy requirements.
Ladakh to get first Geothermal Power Plant Project Ladakh to get first Geothermal Power Plant Project