On the celebration of 151th Gandhi Jayanti, the Khadi and Village Industries Commission is to organize a series of 150 mega events. The 150 events are to be held in north eastern states and other states such as MP, UP, HP, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, J&K, Gujarat and WB. These states were selected as they have led the country with highest number of programmes for artisan empowerment.
Some of the events to be celebrated on October 2 are as follows
- GoI’s Kumhar Sashaktikaran Yojana for the first time reached Meghalaya’s West Garo Hills. The KSY programme will train around 40 potter families. The West Garo Hill region encounters insurgency as the Garo people in the region demand for a separate state.
- Around 27 new manufacturing units and 41 new Khadi sales outlets are to be inaugurated under Pradhan Mantri Employment Generation Programme. Also, 4 new sheds and 8 new sales outlets are to be established in Varanasi under the programme.
- A new model Chakra is to be distributed to Khadi artisans
- Programmes under Honey mission are to be inaugurated
Kumhar Sashaktikaran Yojana
Kumhar Sashaktikaran Yojana is an initiative of Khadi and Village Industries Commission. KVIC aims to empower potters community in the remote locations. The programme mainly targets potters in Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, J&K, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Haryana, Assam, West Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, Telangana & Bihar.
Under the Kumhar Sashaktikaran Yojana, KVIC provides new technology pottery equipment such as electric Chaak and advanced pottery products.
Under the Honey Mission, KVIC provides training on using bee boxes and placing them at right places. In 2017, Honey Mission was launched, along with Sweet Revolution. According to Khadi and Village Industries Commission, the Honey mission has created more than 10 thousand jobs. It has also created 25 thousand additional man-days through honey extractors and fabrication of bee boxes.
The Mission will help to achieve India’s target of doubling farmers’ income by 2024.
India is the one of the top 5 honey producers worldwide. After the honey mission, honey production has increased by 242 per cent as compared to 2005-06. This has boosted the exports by 265 per cent. The Government of India has created Rs 500 crores of funds under Atma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan to promote beekeeping.
Bibek Debroy report
A Beekeeping Development Committee was set up under the chairmanship of Bibek Debroy. The following recommendations were made by the committee
- To consider landless beekeepers as farmers and recognize honeybees as inputs to agriculture
- To increase plantation of bee friendly flora
- To institutionalize National Bee Board
- To recognize apiculture as a subject of advanced research
- To develop infrastructure to store, process and market honey
KVIC organizes 150 programmes KVIC organizes 150 programmes