Recently Kerala government of has sanctioned Rupees 9 crore for the conversion of conventional anganwadis into “smart” anganwadis with better amenities.
About Smart Anganwadi Scheme
- The Department of Women and Child Development has granted 48 anganwadis of the states to construct its new buildings.
- It will be built in order to provide early childhood care in a phased manner.
- These facilities will be established with the aim of make it more child-friendly. This way these facilities will help to nurture mental and physical development of children.
- To construct 48 anganwadis, a total of Rupees 9 crore has been sanctioned.
- The local bodies will also share Rupees 74 crore for the construction of the smart structures.
- They are being designed and constructed under the Integrated Child Development Scheme.
The state government of Kerala had decided to construct the unified model for the anganwadis in the state from April, 2019.
About Anganwadi scheme
The Anganwadi scheme is a type of rural child care centre that was started in 1975. It runs under the Integrated Child Development Services program (ICDSP). Anganwadi scheme seeks to combat the child hunger and malnutrition. These centres work in villages where they provide basic health care under the Indian public health care system (IPHCS). The basic health care activities are nutrition education, contraceptive counselling & supply. These centres are also involved in the preschool activities.
Integrated Child Development Services
The Integrated Child Development Services is a government program that provides food, primary healthcare, preschool education, health check-up, immunization, and referral services of the children aged under 6. Integrated Child Development Services was launched in the year 1975. During the year 1978 it was discontinued but the scheme was again launched by the 10th 5-Year Plan. The 10th 5-Year plan linked Integrated Child Development Services scheme to Anganwadi centres.
Kerala govt to build smart Anganwadis Kerala govt to build smart Anganwadis