Recently Weyan village located in Bandipora district of UT Jammu & Kashmir became India’s 1st village to vaccinate all its adult population against coronavirus.
- This successful vaccination drive in village was the result of healthcare workers.
- Weyan Village, located 28 km away from Bandipora district, has an adult population of 362.
- In Weyan, distance of 18 km is required to cover by foot as there is no motorable road.
- Weyan was covered under ‘J & K model’, which is a 10-point strategy to vaccinate entire population.
- Under the model, first strategy is booth-level management which involves preparation of eligible population list. It is followed by “Vaccine on Wheels” under which health officials reaches out to people in far-flung areas to vaccinate them.
The COVID-19 Vaccination in the remote village was difficult and challenging as village comprises of nomadic families who go to higher reaches to graze their livestock. There is no internet access in village. Thus, it was not possible for them to get appointments on cowin portal to get vaccination.
Initially, there were vaccine hesitancy. Despite that, Jammu & Kashmir has achieved 70% vaccination in 45+ age group which is almost double of nation’s average.
Weyan first Village to Vaccinate 100% Weyan first Village to Vaccinate 100%