JIMEX 2020 Fourth edition of Maritime bilateral exercise between India & Japan began in North Arabian Sea from 26 September 2020. Bilateral Exercise will be conducted for 3 days. In the light of COVID-19 restrictions, the Maritime bilateral exercise is being conducted in a ‘non-contact at-sea-only format’ this year.
Fourth edition of JIMEX- 2020
- Maritime bilateral exercise JIMEX 2020 will showcase high degree of inter-operability and joint operational skills.
- Both Navies will conduct several advanced exercises, across the spectrum of maritime operations.
- Both navies will conduct a multi-faceted tactical exercises that will involve weapon firings, cross deck helicopter operations, anti-submarine and air warfare drills.
- The Indian navy will be represented by:
- Indigenously built stealth destroyer Chennai.
- Teg Class stealth frigate Tarkash.se
- Fleet Tanker.
- The Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force will be represented by:
- JMSDF Ships Kaga (Japanese aircraft carrier Kaga), an Izumo Class Helicopter Destroyer.
- Ikazuchi, Japanese a Guided Missile Destroyer.
- Commander Escort Flotilla – 2 (CCF – 2).
- P8I Long Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft, integral helicopters and fighter aircraft.
About JIMEX exercise
The JIMEX bilateral exercise was commenced in 2012. It is conducted biennially between the Indian Navy and Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force. JIMEX emphasizes on maritime security cooperation (MSC). The last edition of JIMEX was conducted in October 2018 along the Andhra Pradesh’s Visakhapatnam coast.
Advanced level of operations and exercises indicates the upswing in Indo-Japanese defence relations. The regular exercise shows a continued efforts by both Govts in order to work closely for a more secure, open and inclusive global commons. JIMEX 2020 bilateral exercise would further enhance the cooperation and mutual confidence between the India & Japanese navies. It would also enhance the bond of friendship between Indian & Japan. JIMEX 2020 India-Japan Maritime Bilateral Exercise JIMEX 2020 India-Japan Maritime Bilateral Exercise