Recently Jal Shakti Ministry announced that it is to roll out Nationa; annual planning exercise with the States and UTs.
About the Plan
- The national exercise is to be conducted by a committee chaired by the Secretary of Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation.
- The Committee will take up 2 states or UTs per day.
- The Committee is to do a rigorous scrutiny of the proposed Annual Action Plan for the year 2021-22 prepared by the States and the Union Territories. The plan will then be finalised.
Priorities provided in the Annual Action Plan
The States and UTs have given priority to water quality affected areas, SC and ST majority villages, villages in drought prone and desert areas in their proposed annual action plan.
Fund to Jal Jeevan Mission
- The Central Government has sanctioned Rupees 50,000 crores for the FY 2021-22.
- In addition, Rupees 26,940 crores has been assured under the 15th Finance Commission.
- In the FY 2021-22, Central Government has planned to invest more than Rupees 1 lakh crore to ensure tap water supply to rural homes.
About Jal Jeevan Mission
- This Mission was announced by Modi Government in the year 2019. The main objective of the Jal Jeevan Mission is to provide functional household tap connection to every home in India by 2024.
- The Jal Jeevan Mission envisages to supply 55 litres of water per person per day.
- During the COVID-19 Nationwide lock down, Central Government exponentially increased the level of implementation of the Mission. This was done to boost Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) working hours. The Central Government supported the livelihood of migrant workers and workers of unorganised sector through MGNREGA. Also, the wages of MGNREGA were increased. Therefore, a greater number of working hours was needed. This was provided by Jal Jeevan Mission. The working hours of MGNREGA was used to implement Jal Jeevan Mission (pipe laying, plumbing work, digging, establishing rain harvest systems, etc). Apart from Jal Jeevan Mission, the Indian Railways also supported MGNREGA by providing work hours during nationwide lock down.
Jal Jeevan Mission State-Wise Planning Exercise begins for 2021–22 Jal Jeevan Mission State-Wise Planning Exercise begins for 2021–22