Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh announced that ISRO will assist development projects in Northeast through Space Technology.
- Indian Space Research Organisation will offering optimum utilization of Satellite Imaging and other Space Technology applications.
- These applications will be used for better accomplishment of infrastructural projects across all 8 states in North-Eastern Region of India.
- The 6 out of 8 states of Northeast have already sent their specific proposals to ISRO.
- Sikkim and Assam will send their proposals soon.
- ISRO’s involvement would be India’s first of its kind project, where there is an institutionalised involvement of ISRO to map and share data for developmental projects.
ISRO’s ongoing projects
Indian Space Research Organisation is monitoring and Geo-tagging 67 projects across 221 sites in eight north-eastern states. All the projects are funded by Ministry or North Eastern Council.
North Eastern Council
The statutory advisory body constituted through North Eastern Council Act of 1971. It came into existence on 7th November 1972 at Shillong. 8 north-eastern states Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram, Meghalaya, Manipur, Tripura, Nagaland and Sikkim are members of council. The North Eastern Council is represented by Chief Ministers and Governors of all these states. Sikkim was added to North Eastern Council in 2002. NCE functions under Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DONER).
ISRO to help Development Projects in Northeast ISRO to help Development Projects in Northeast