- This is in line with the above discussed new guidelines for the Geo-Spatial Sector in India.
The Geospatial Portal (Bhuvan)
- Bhuvan is a type of web portal used to find and access geographic information (geospatial information) and associated geographic services (display, editing, analysis, etc.).
ISRO & MapmyIndia Collaboration
MapmyIndia’s database will be connected with ISRO’s high-end satellite catalogue and earth observation data, which it generates through a constellation of its satellites.
- The collaboration will enable them to jointly identify and build a holistic geospatial portal utilising earth observation datasets, NavIC (Navigation in Indian Constellation), Web Services and APIs available in MapmyIndia.
- Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows two applications to talk to each other.
- API is a computing interface that defines interactions between multiple software intermediaries
- True Maps
- Its services will reflect the true borders of the country as per the information available from Government of India.
- Protects Privacy
- By using MapmyIndia maps and applications instead of the foreign map apps, users can better protect their privacy.
- As foreign search engines and companies claim to offer ‘free’ maps, but in reality, they make money by targeting the same users with advertising, by invading the user’s privacy and auctioning private location and movement data. However there is no such provision of advertisement in MapmyIndia.
- Atma Nirbhar Bharat: Being an Indian platform, it is well aligned with the government’s Mission of Atma Nirbhar Bharat (self-reliant India).
- About MapmyIndia
- The MapmyIndia is an Indian technology company that builds digital map data, telematics services, Global Information System and Artificial Intelligence (AI) services.
- It is an alternative to Google Map, which covers as many as 7.5 lakh Indian villages and 7500 cities.
- The database has a road network connected by 63 lakh kilometer and the organisation claims to consist of the most exhaustive digital map database of the country.
- Almost all the vehicle manufacturers in India who come with built-in navigation systems are using MapmyIndia.
- Other Products
- App called ‘Move’ that provides real-time traffic updates and navigation.
- It is an IRNSS (Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System), developed by ISRO.
- IRNSS consists of 8 satellites, three satellites in geostationary orbit and 5 satellites in geosynchronous orbit.
- It works just like the established and popular USA GPS (Global Positioning System) but within a 1500-kilometer radius over the sub-continent.
- It has been certified by the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), a global body for coordinating mobile telephony standards.
- The main objective is to provide reliable position, navigation and timing services over India and its neighbourhood.
- Potential Uses
- The Terrestrial, aerial and marine navigation
- Disaster management
- Vehicle tracking and fleet management (especially for mining and transportation sector)
- Integration with mobile phones
- Precise timing (as for ATMs and power grids)
- Mapping and geodetic data capture
- Other Global Navigational Systems:
- Galileo (Europe)
- BeiDou/BDS (China)
- GLONASS (Russia)
- QZSS (Quasi-Zenith Satellite System) (Japan)
ISRO & MapmyIndia To Build Alternative To Google Maps ISRO & MapmyIndia To Build Alternative To Google Maps