On 18th February 2021, Israeli Government formally announced that it is developing a new ballistic missile shield named “Arrow-4” in the collaboration with the USA. The ballistic missile is being developed as another layer in the defensive system by keeping an eye towards Iran.
Points To Note
- Israeli Arrow-2 and Arrow-3 interceptors are already operational under the multi-layered system.
- This system can destroy the incoming missiles in the atmosphere and in the space.
- The development of Arrow-4 in collaboration with USA will result in the technological and operational leap forward.
- Collaboration will prepare the countries for the future battlefield and the evolving threats in Middle East and beyond.
- Though, the Israeli leaders are describing the ballistic missile programme of Iran as a threat to Israel and the world. But Iran stated that the missile is being developed as a defensive measure and it aims to deter the attack.
About Arrow or Hetz
Hetz is a family of anti-ballistic missiles and it has been designed to make the Israeli missile defense system more effective against the ballistic missiles in comparison to other surface-to-air (S-T-A) missile that country has procured. Arrow or Hetz missiles are being jointly funded and produced by Israel and USA. The missiles started developing in 1986. This missile system is overseen by Israeli Ministry of Defense and the USA Missile Defense Agency. The missile system comprises of joint production of hypersonic Arrow anti-missile interceptor and Israel Aerospace Industries Brown Hazelnut.
About Ballistic Missile
The Ballistic Missile follows a ballistic trajectory in order to deliver one or more warheads. These missiles are guided for relatively brief periods. Most of its flight is unpowered. Short-range ballistic missiles (SRBM) lie within the Earth’s atmosphere. However, the intercontinental ballistic missiles are launched on the sub-orbital trajectory.
Israel and USA starts developing anti-missile Arrow-4 system Israel and USA starts developing anti-missile Arrow-4 system