Indian Navy INS Sindhuvir Kilo Class Submarine now Government of India have decided to transfer one of its kilo-class submarines to the Myanmar Navy. This is a significant step as Myanmar Navy would be getting its first ever Kilo Class Submarine.
Points To Note
- Government of India decision to transfer INS Sindhuvir was taken to take forward the India’s commitment to building capacities and self-reliance in the neighbouring countries.
- India’s decision also comply with India’s vision of Security and Growth for All in the Region (SAGAR) policy.
- The transfer of the Indian Naval Kilo Class Submarine was taken in the aftermath of visit of Army Chief Manoj Mukund Naravane and Foreign secretary of the Government of India Harsh Vardhan Shringla to Myanmar during first week of October 2020.
- Government of India had also agreed to supply artillery guns, bullet-proof jackets, tanks and other such equipment to Myanmar’s Army.
- Kilo Class Submarine INS Sindhuvir is equipped with a wide range of weapons and sensors. These advanced weapons enables it to participate in various exercises.
About kilo-class submarine
Kilo Class Submarine is a class of diesel-electric attack submarines that was designed and built in the Soviet Union (The Union of Soviet Socialist Republics) for the Soviet Navy. In 1980, INS Sindhuvir first kilo-class submarine was brought into service in to the Soviet Navy. Apart from that, the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics exported around 40 kilo-class submarines to countries including Russian federation, India, People’s Republic of China, Republic of Poland, Algeria, Islamic Republic of Iran, Romania, and Vietnam.
India’s Kilo-class submarines
India have 10 Kilo-class submarines called as Sindhughosh class. These Kilo-class submarines have displacement of 3 thousand tonnes and top speed of 18 knots. Kilo-class submarines can dive up to the depth of 300 meters. Single submarine can operate for 45 days with crew of 53.
India will deliver INS Sindhuvir to Myanmar India will deliver INS Sindhuvir to Myanmar