Both friendly countries India and France will launch the Year of Environment. Both will be launched by the Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar and his French counterpart Ms. Barbara Pompili in a bid to strengthen the ecological partnership.
Points To Note
- The Indo-French partnership on Environment, Biodiversity, Climate Change and other allied areas will be an example for the world.
- Both countries have already undertaken several environment projects in Assam, Rajasthan.
- The Another project will start in Jharkhand.
- Indian side said that the year 2021 will also enhance the cooperation in sustainable development and increasing the effectiveness of actions for the global environment protection.
Agenda of the bilateral meeting
- India and France will work towards deepening the Indo-French cooperation on sustainable development in the field of renewable energy, biodiversity conservation, plastic waste management and smart cities.
- Indo-French initiative also aim to boost the cooperation between the countries on climate issues and jointly boost the global momentum throughout 2021. The year 2021 is a key year to fight against climate change and the erosion of biodiversity.
- Both countries will hold talks on joint efforts in order to promote the renewable energy and smart grids.
- They will also discuss to strengthen and universalise the International Solar Alliance. an international organisation initiated by both countries.
- They will enhance the bilateral technical cooperation on high-efficiency solar panels.
- Further, new investments will be made from French companies in solar power projects and smart grids in India.
India’s achievement in climate change action
India has made significant efforts in the climate change action. India achieved 26% of reduction of emission intensity so far. The renewable capacity in India stands at 90 GW as of 2020. It also includes 36 GW of solar energy and 38 GW of wind energy
Indo-French Ecological Partnership Indo-French Ecological Partnership