An 48-year-old Indian social activist, Anjali Bhardwaj, who works on issues of transparency and accountability has been selected for the “US International Anti-Corruption Champions Award” along with the other 11 anti-corruption champions. These names were announced by new US government.
- Joe Biden administration is of the view that, these issues can be tackled only by working in coordination with the committed partners.
- These partners could be:
- To Courageous individuals, who champion the anti-corruption efforts and
- The Countries, which are working to fulfil their commitments with respect to the international anti-corruption standards.
- Thus, this new Award was announced that recognised individuals who have worked tirelessly against transparency & corruption in order to ensure the accountability in their own countries.
- Indian activist, Bhardwaj, is also the founder of ‘Satark Nagrik Sangathan’.
- Satark Nagrik Sangathan is a citizens’ group that promote transparency and accountability in government and also encourage the active participation of citizens.
- Bhardwaj has also served as an active member in the “Right to Information Movement” in India.
- Anjali Bhardwaj is a convener of National Campaign for People’s’ Right to Information. This campaign resulted into establishment of an anti-corruption ombudsman and Whistle Blowers Protection Act, 2011.
The Other Champions
Other Champions are- Sophia Pretrick of Micronesia, Ardian Dvorani of Albania, Francis Ben Kaifala of Sierra Leone, Bolot Temirov of Kyrgyz Republic, Ibrahima Kalil Gueye of Guinea, Dhuha A Mohammed of Iraq, Juan Francisco Sandoval Alfaro of Guatemala, Mustafa Abdullah Sanalla of Libya, Diana Salazar of Ecuador, Victor Sotto of The Philippines and Ruslan Ryaboshapka of Ukraine.
About Whistleblower Protection Act of 2014
The Whistleblower Protection Act of 2014 comprises of the provision to receive the complaints related to corruption or wilful misuse of power or discretion against any public servant. It also provides for the mechanism to inquire or cause inquiry into such complaints. Further, this act provides provisions of safeguards for the person who makes complaints against victimization.
US International Anti-corruption Champions Award 2021 US International Anti-corruption Champions Award 2021