The Bihar state exported 1st commercial consignment of GI certified Jardalu mangoes from Bhagalpur to United Kingdom. The Jardalu mangoes from Bhagalpur district were given GI certification in the year 2018.
The Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority, in tie-up with state government, Indian High Commission & Invest India, exported Jardalu mangoes. Mangoes were packed and treated at APEDA packhouse in Lucknow.
APEDA contribution towards export
- The APEDA has initiated measures to boost mango exports from non-traditional regions. It has been conducting virtual buyer-seller meets and festival in a bid to promote mango exports.
- APEDA organised mango festival in Berlin, Germany and in Japan in collaboration with Indian embassies.
- It also organised a week-long Indian mango promotion programme in Bahrain in which 16 varieties of Mango including three GI certified varieties (Khirsapati & Lakshmanbhog from West Bengal and Jardalu from Bihar) were displayed.
- In May 2021, Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority in association with Indian embassy, Seoul and Indian Chamber of Commerce in Korea, organised a Virtual Buyer Seller Meet to provide a platform for exporters & importers of mangoes from India and South Korea.
- Thus, Mangoes are processed by APEDA packhouse facilities and exported to several countries viz, Middle-east, United States, European Union, Japan and South Korea.
India’s Mango Production
The Mango are referred to as king of fruits. They are also referred to as Kalpavriksha (wish granting tree) in ancient scriptures. Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka have a major share in total production of Mango.
India to exports Jardalu Mangoes to UK India to exports Jardalu Mangoes to UK