India and Middle East nation, the State of Kuwait signed an Memorandum of understanding on cooperation on domestic worker recruitment on 10th June 2021.
Memorandum of understanding
- The Memorandum of understanding will bring Indian domestic workers in Gulf nation within the legal framework which will provide them protection under law.
- The Agreement will also streamline recruitment of domestic workers.
- It will ensure rights and obligations of domestic workers as well as employer.
- A 24-hour assistance mechanism will be established to assist domestic workers.
- A joint committee will also be set up to assess and review periodically on implementation of Memorandum of understanding.
Memorandum of understanding was signed between Indian Ambassador Sibi George and Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs of Kuwait Majdi Ahmad Al-Dhafiri during a three-day bilateral visit of External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar in Kuwait to mark 60th anniversary of establishment of bilateral relations between India and Kuwait.
Indians in Kuwait
The Indian Community in the State of Kuwait comprises of Indian expatriates in Kuwait and Kuwaiti citizens of Indian origin or by descent. As per Indian ministry of external affairs, about 1 million Indians are residing in Kuwait as of 2020. Majority of Indians belong to Kerala and Tamil Nadu. India is one of the largest trading partners of Kuwait and Kuwait is a key supplier of oil to India.
India-Kuwait sign MoU on Domestic Worker Recruitment India-Kuwait sign MoU on Domestic Worker Recruitment