The two day Maritime Security exercise between the Islamic Republic of Iran and Russian Federation named “Iran-Russia Maritime Security Belt 2021″ which is a two-day naval exercise. Now India has joined the exercise and it being held in the northern part of the Indian Ocean.
Points To Note
- The trilateral drill was participated by the forces and vessels from navy divisions of both the Iranian army and Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
- Several vessels from the Russian navy also participated in the drill.
- Indian Navy has also joined the exercise with selected vessels.
- The trilateral drill will also be participated by the Chinese Navy.
- It will cover an area of 17000 square km.
- The trilateral naval exercise will carry the range of activities including the shooting at sea targets, air targets, liberation of the hijacked ships, anti-piracy operations and search & rescue operations.
About Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps
The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps is a branch of the Iranian Armed Forces. It was founded after the Iranian Revolution in April 1979. It was founded by the order of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini. Revolutionary Guard defends the Iranian borders and maintains the internal order. Iranian Constitution has tasked the Revolutionary Guard with the work of protecting the country’s Islamic republic political system. It also helps in preventing the foreign interference and coups. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps had 250000 military personnel as of 2011. It includes ground forces, aerospace forces and the naval forces. The Naval forces are the primary forces having operational control of the Persian Gulf. The naval force also controls the paramilitary Basij militia. Sepah News is the media arm of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
The Persian Gulf
Persian Gulf is the Mediterranean Sea in the West Asia. It is an extension of the Indian Ocean. It is extended through the Gulf of Oman and Strait of Hormuz. This water body is situated between Iran in the northeast and the Arabian Peninsula in the southwest.
India joins Iran-Russia Maritime Security Belt 2021 India joins Iran-Russia Maritime Security Belt 2021