Recently Union Cabinet of India, Chaired by Prime Minister Modi, formally apprised a MoU that was signed between India and Japan. The Memorandum of Understanding was signed between National Atmospheric Research Laboratory (NARL) Department of Space, Government of India and the Research Institute for Sustainable Humanosphere called the RISH that operates under Kyoto University of Japan.
Objectives of the MoU
- According to the Memorandum of Understanding, the NARL and RISH will continue their cooperation in the areas of technology, atmospheric sciences, collaborative scientific experiments and other related modelling studies.
- Both will exchange scientific materials, information, publications, students, faculty members and researchers.
- The agreement will allow the countries to utilize the facilities such as Middle and Upper atmosphere radar in Japan, Mesosphere-Stratosphere-Troposphere radar, Equatorial Atmosphere Radar in Indonesia.
Both NARL and RISH have been working together since 2008. This Memorandum of Understanding was formalised in the year 2008 and was renewed earlier in the year 2013. In November 2020, Both NARL and RISH signed a fresh MoU to promote collaborative research under new guidelines.
- Both countries hold 2+2 dialogue every year. Japan is the second country after the USA with which India has such a dialogue format.
- The major Indian exports to Japan are petroleum products, chemicals, etc.
- The major Japanese exports to India are transport, machinery, iron and steel, electronic goods.
- Japanese FDI in India are mainly in electrical equipment, automobile, telecommunication, pharmaceutical sector.
- Japan has invested $90 billion in the Delhi-Mumbai Industrial corridor. This will set up industrial parks, new cities, ports and airports.
- Japan supplies nuclear reactors and nuclear technology to India. India is the only non-signatory of Non-Proliferation Treaty to receive the exemption from Japan.
India-Japan MoU for Academic and Research Cooperation India-Japan MoU for Academic and Research Cooperation