The navies of two friendly nations India and Indonesia held the PASSEX military exercise in the Arabian sea on 18th February 2021. This exercise was organised in order to enhance the operational interoperability and the overall cooperation.
- From Indian Navy INS Talwar (Talwar-class frigate) participate in the exercise and
- From Indonesian Navy KRI Bung Tomo (Bung Tomo-class corvette) participate in the PASSEX exercise.
India’s maritime cooperation
- The India’s maritime cooperation with Indonesia have gained a momentum in last few years. Indian Navy also participated in the several maritime exercise notwithstanding the coronavirus.
- It held the maritime exercises with countries like The United States of America, Russia, Japan and Australia.
- By November 2020, India hosted the Malabar exercise. In this exercise, the navies of The United States of America, Japan and Australia took part.
- India had also invited Australia for the Malabar exercise in 2020 to make the Malabar drill for all the Quad members.
The Quadrilateral Security Dialogue is also called as the Quad or Asian NATO and it is an informal strategic forum comprising of Japan, Australia, USA and India. The Quad held semi-regular summits and military drills involving the member countries. Quad was established with the aim of ensuring a free and open Indo-Pacific region. By the free and open Indo-pacific region it means to make the region free from the China’s growing influence. This grouping was formed in the backdrop of increasing Chinese military assertiveness in the Indo-Pacific region.
The trilateral naval exercise between the USA, Japan and India and the first edition of this exercise held in 1992 as a bilateral exercise involving India and USA. Japan was made a permanent partner in this exercise since 2015. The Malabar exercise is often joined by the non-permanent members like Singapore and Australia. It held a number of activities like fighter combat operations from aircraft carriers, anti-submarine warfare, amphibious operations, diving salvage operations, counter-piracy operations etc.
India- Indonesia Navies conduct PASSEX exercise in Arabian sea India- Indonesia Navies conduct PASSEX exercise in Arabian sea