Recently Minister for Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, Narendra Singh Tomar and Member of European Commission-Agriculture, Janusz Wojciechowski, was hold a Virtual meeting on 7th July, 2021.
- During the meeting, strong momentum of India-European Union relations was acknowledged.
- They discussed European Union Common Agriculture Policy (CAP). recent India market reforms, UN Food System Summit, EU Farm to Fork Strategy and bilateral cooperation.
- They also discussed G20 Agriculture Minister process and fixation of Maximum Residue Limit of Tricyclazole in Indian Basmati Rice by EU.
- Member of European Commission, Agriculture explained recent reforms undertaken by European Union in Common Agriculture Policy and EU Farm to Fork Strategy in order to make agriculture green & sustainable.
- The European Union side also underlined that; EU has set a target of bringing 25% of area in EU under Organic Farming by 2030.
- Indian side explained the scenario of agriculture in India, dominance of small farmers and commitment of Government of India for welfare of farmers in India. Recent initiatives taken by Government to increase farmer’s income, launch of Agriculture Infrastructure Fund, agriculture marketing infrastructure for rural areas, scheme of formation of 10000 FPOs were explained to European Union.
India’s support to UN Food System Summit
Union Agriculture Minister of India also acknowledged India’s support to United Nations Food Systems Summit and informed EU delegation he will lead Indian delegation to Pre-Summit being organized from July 26th to 28th, 2021.
Maximum Residual Limit
Indian side also raised the issue of fixing Maximum Residual Limit of Tricyclazole used in rice crop. This has been a concern for India for a long time because it I affecting India’s Basmati Rice Exports to European Union. All required studies and documents have been submitted to EU in May-2021 following which Maximum Residual Limit will be fixed by second quarter of 2022.
India & EU Cooperation in Agriculture sector India & EU Cooperation in Agriculture sector