Recently India was elected to the United Nations ECOSOC for two years. The term begins from 2022 to 2024.
ECOSOC is Economic and Social Council.
- India has been selected in Asia-Pacific States category. Other elected countries include Oman, Afghanistan and Kazakhstan.
- The Elected African countries are- Cote d’Ivoire, Eswatini, Mauritius, Tunisia, and United Republic of Tanzania.
- Among the eastern European countries Croatia and Czech Republic were elected.
- Belize, Peru and Chile are among elected Latin American and Caribbean states.
- In by-election of Economic and Social Council, New Zealand & Denmark were elected for January to December 2022 term while Israel was elected for January 1, 2022 to December 31, 2023.
The Economic and Social Council is a collaboration of 54-member statea and it was established in 1954 by a United Nations charter. Being the heart of UN system, it helps in advancing economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable development. It is the central platform to foster debate & innovating thinking. It shapes ways forward and coordinating efforts in a bid to achieve globally agreed goals. It organises follow-up, major United Nations conferences and summits. Promotion of high standards of living, full employment, economic & social progress, identifying solutions for global economic, social & health problems etc are important functions of ECOSOC.
India elected to UN Economic and Social Council India elected to UN Economic and Social Council