After Covid-19, this year India has started its 13th BRICS Chairship with the inaugural 3-day-long Sherpas’ meeting on 25th February 2021.
- During 13th BRICS meeting the countries discuss about BRICS Games 2021.
- The spokesperson of the Ministry of External Affairs, Anurag Srivastava stated that the Secretary chaired the meeting and highlighted the themes, priorities, and calendar for the 13th BRICS 2021.
- Earlier, Subrahmanyam Jaishankar had launched India’s BRICS website at Secretariat of BRICS at Sushma Swaraj Bhawan.
- President of the Chinese Communist Party, Xi Jinping, might also visit India later for the BRICS 2021 summit.
- The People’s Republic of China had also provided its supports to India in hosting the meeting and is willing to work with the BRICS member countries so as to expand its cooperation in the fields of politics, economy and people-to-people exchanges.
- Prior to this, China also support India for BRICS 2021 Chairship.
The alliance of Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa. These members countries of BRICS are known for their significant influence in the region. The respective government of the BRICS countries meet annual formal summits starting from 2009. The 12th BRICS Summit was hosted by Russia on 17th November 2020 virtually.
Where does BRICS Stand?
The alliance have a combined area of 39,746,220 km2 and a total population of about 3.21 billion. It accounts for around 26 per cent of the world land surface and 41 per cent of world population. All the members countries are also the members of G20 grouping. The countries account for around 23 per cent of gross world product. The Bilateral relations between the countries runs on the principles of equality, non-interference and mutual benefit.
The term “BRIC” is believed to be coined in the year 2001 by Jim O’Neill who was the then-chairman of Goldman Sachs Asset Management. But this term was actually coined by Roopa Purushothaman. The first meeting of the grouping was held in Yekaterinburg by June, 2009.
India begins BRICS 2021 Chairship India begins BRICS 2021 Chairship