Switzerland based Institute for Management Development along with Singapore University have published the Smart City index 2020 on 17 September. The report highlights that the Indian cities have declined in their technological updates.
- IMD’s Smart City index has ranked 109 cities this year, globally.
- Index has been prepared by recording perceptions of 120 residents in each City.
- The residents were selected randomly.
- The selected residents were asked questions on technological provisions in 5 areas including mobility, health and safety, activities, governance and opportunities in their respective cities.
Key results of the index 2020
- Indian cities have slipped in their rankings.
- Hyderabad has been kept at 85th rank. While in 2019 index Hyderabad was hold 67th position.
- In 2020, New Delhi dropped to 86th position and in 2019 New Delhi perfom better & hold 68th position.
- In 2020, Mumbai slipped to 93rd position from 78th position in 2019.
- Bengaluru dropped to 95th position from 79th position in 2019.
- Mumbai and Bengaluru face severe road congestion between 2019-2020.
- Delhi and Hyderabad lagged on basic amenities.
- Singapore topped at 2020 index.
- Finland’s Helsinki and Switzerland’s Zurich are at second and third positions respectively.
- Other cities that ranked under 10 includes,
- 4th- New Zealand’s Auckland
- 5th- Norway’s Oslo
- 6th- Denmark’s Copenhagen
- 7th- Switzerland’s Geneva
- 8th- Taiwan’s Taipei
- 9th- Netherlands’s Amsterdam
- 10th- New York
Why Indian cities have dropped?
The report states that COVID-19 pandemic might have led to the drop in ranking.
Smart City index
Smart City Index is prepared by Institute for Management Development World Competitiveness Centre, Smart City Observatory and Singapore University of Technology and Design. The index offers a balanced focus on economic and technological aspects of smart cities. It also includes humane dimensions of smart cities including the quality of life, environment and inclusiveness.
Those cities that apply technologies to overcome the shortcomings and enhance the benefits of urbanisation are called as smart cities. Global Smart City Index 2020 Global Smart City Index 2020