Recently Union Health Minister, Dr Harsh Vardhan launched “Mission Aahaar Kranti”. The national mission aims to spread the message of the importance of nutritionally balanced diet. It will also promote the importance of accessibility to local fruits and vegetables.
Points To Note
- The Aahaar Kranti Mission is designed to address the major problem faced by India and the world, which is, “Hunger and Diseases in Abundance”.
- India produces 2-times the amount of calories it consumes. Still, several people are malnourished in the country.
- The Aahaar Kranti Mission is also co-launched by the Vijnana Bharti and Global Scientists and Technocrats Forum.
- The motto of the mission is “Good Diet-Good Cognition”.
- The Aahaar Kranti Mission will train the teachers. The teachers in turn will pass on the message to students. Through the students the mission aims to pass on the message to the families and societies at large.
- According to UNICEF (United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund), India is at the 10th spot among countries with highest number of underweight children. Also, the organisation says that India is at the 17th spot among countries with highest number of stunted children. Both the problems of stunting and underweight are caused by malnutrition.
- The Malnutrition is the major contributing factor to 1/3rd child deaths in the country.
- According to the recent National Family Health Survey, the percentage of stunted children in 2015-16 was 38.4 per cent. The percentage of children wasted were 21 per cent. Wasting is prevalent in Goa, Punjab, Karnataka, Sikkim, and Maharashtra.
- More than half of Indian children are anaemic.
- Apart from children, 23 per cent of women and 20 per cent of men in the country are malnourished.
Health Minister launched Aahaar Kranti Mission