Subrahmanyam Jaishankar External Affairs Minister of represted India at the East Asia Summit. Ha Noi Declaration adopted on the 15th anniversary of East Asia Summit.
- The foreign affairs minister expressed concerns over eroding trust in the South China sea.
- Ministers also highlighted the importance of adhering to international sea laws and respecting sovereignty and integrity.
- China claims sovereignty of all the South China Sea that holds huge hydrocarbon reserves.
- India has been promoting rules-based order in the South China Sea. This is mainly about adhering to the UNCLOS. UNCLOS known as United Nations Convention on the Law of the sea).
The East Asia Summit is held between 18 members countries including ten ASEAN nations. The other 8 countries are
- the united States of America
- New Zealand
- Russian Federation
- the Republic of Korea.
About Ha Noi Declaration
- Ha Noi Declaration reaffirmed the following declarations of the East Asia Summit
- 2005 Kuala Lumpur Declaration (on the Establishment of the ASEAN Charter)
- 2010 Ha Noi Declaration
- 2011 Bali Declaration (On ASEAN Community In A Global Community Of Nations “Bali Concord III”)
- 2015 Kuala Lumpur Declaration (on The Establishment of The ASEAN Community)
- Ha Noi Declaration emphasized ASEAN-centred regional architecture
- East Asia Summit stressed on the need to further enable Summit as an effective platform.
- The Declaration stressed upon the effective implementation of Manila Plan of Action (POA) to advance the Phnom Penh Declaration (2018-2022). Declaration focuses on East Asia Development Initiative.
South China sea Significance
- Around 1/3 of the global trade passes through the South China Sea. The total trade is around $3 trillion.
- According to the United States Energy Information Administration, the South China Sea region is believed to hold 11 billion barrels of oil.
Exploration of China
- In 2014, China began oil drilling in south china sea disputed area of Vietnam. However, according to Vietnam, Vanguard Bank lies within 200-miles of Excusive Economic Zone (EEZ).
- In 2017, China again made a breakthrough for mining methane clathrates in the South China Sea.
South China Sea Disputes
- Natuna Islands are disputed area between China, Indonesia & Taiwan.
- Scarborough Shoal are disputed area between China, Philippines & Taiwan.
- Spratly Islands dispute between China, Vietnam & Taiwan.
- Paracel Islands dispute between China, Vietnam & Taiwan
- Gulf of Thailand (Gulf of Siam) dispute between Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia and Vietnam.
China- Japan Dispute
Senkaku Islands or Diaoyu Islands dispute between China and Japan. Japan claims as the Senkaku Islands and China claims Diaoyu Islands and Tiaoyutai Islands Taiwan
Ha Noi Declaration adopted during East Asia Summit